Friday, November 26, 2010

Back to Black

Graphic design has always intrigued me. Intrigued me to a point where I decided that I would possibly take a few graphic design classes or two to "get better." Now, I was all set and jazzed about this idea, ready to go, until I was given an assignment that involved creating posters and logos . After that assignment, I decided, very quickly, that I am not as handy dandy on the illustrator front as I thought I was and vetoed the idea indefinitely. Now, even though graphic design isn't my holy grail in this Camelot, I am still an avid fan of graphic designers and their work.

Cue in: The posters for the movie Black Swan.

I love movie posters. Movie posters are one of those key elements that make or break a movie for me. Sure, for some people it's just imagery, placing a title to an image, but to me, it's more than that. It sets the tone of the movie, it shows the passion of a movie. Plus, people can get really creative when it comes to posters which makes everything to me that more enjoyable.

I haven't been equally excited about a movie and it's posters in a very long time (sounds weird, I know) but Black Swan has restored my excitement for imagery and graphic design again (though not to a point where I'm resurrecting my dream of being a boy wonder in GD).

Take a look at some of the amazing posters for this movie that put other posters to shame:





The other two posters that give me the chills are the ones of Natalie Portman basically embodying the films protagonist...and antagonist..?




 Take note out there, graphic designers. Create stuff like this and I'll guarantee you will be set for life.

Black Swan comes out December 3rd, 2010 and if you haven't seen the trailer yet you can watch it here .

Images taken from slashfilm.com and iwatchstuff.com.

-Marls

And PS, another reason to watch this film? The costumes were custom made "Swarovski encrusted tutus" and "spider web-y warm up knits" by none other than Rodarte. In an early review, the reviewer said that the costumes nearly upstaged the Oscar-buzzed creepy thriller by none other Darren Aronofsky. Imagine that-Rodarte topping the king of "what the hell just happened" type movies. Huh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment