Sunday, January 9, 2011

HIGH-FIVE SUNDAYS!

I’ll admit it - sometimes I’m a bit of a terrible student. My classes here at AI are generally enjoyable, relevant to my interests and taught by engaging and admirable people. However, I often fancy myself a well trained multi-tasker, and like to split my brain in half during class by casually perusing intriguing areas of the internet.

This of course allows me to expand my knowledge of the world two-fold and in no way ends up with me turning to my neighbour at the end of a lecture and exclaim “I have no idea what that class was about”.

So in celebration of brain-expansion, I give you todays High-Five:

Top Five Blogs I Would Like to Recommend to You>>

5. Amber & Hilary

image

image

One of several New Zealand blogs that I check often, Amber & Hilary possesses a soft, feminine aesthetic that contrasts my own personal style, so I see a lot of things on their blog that I wouldn’t normally pay attention to. They post beautiful photo collages and also a bit of personal work in the form of photography and fashion.

 

4. 01 Magazine’s Blog

imageimage

image

The companion blog to local Vancouver online magazine 01, I visit this site to find out about compelling artists, exhibitions and fashion labels that are a little off from centre. Also sometimes good for local content and event info.

 

3. Nardwuar the Human Serviette

image

image

image

  Nardwuar has interviewed every musician ever (almost) and knows everything about all of them (absolutely true). His videos are informative, intelligent, funny and sometimes too awkward to watch (hello Blur). He’s quite the character which draws out a variety of reactions from musician’s often too-cool-for-school egos (Hello The Strokes). His interviews are so thorough and extensive that they sometimes have the ability to turn me on or off a band or performer.

 

2. So Much To Tell You

image

image

image

This one is a new find for me. After coming across it about a week ago I immediately went through the site’s entire archive which dates back to 2008, which is pretty much ancient history in blog years. So Much To Tell You is a partnership between two writers and the content is reflective of that. Like Amber & Hilary they also publish some amazing photo collages, as well as share my admiration for Alexa Chung >>

image

 

1. Isaac Likes

image

image

As myself and Marlon have previously mentioned, Isaac Likes is my favourite blog. We both find Isaac pretty fascinating and often discuss why he is so awesome, why he has cool things, why he gets to go to cool places (seriously, how did you get backstage at the Chanel Haute Couture show, Isaac?), and why we can’t be as cool as him.

His style is impeccable, his articles immaculately written and his choice of news coverage well edited. For the next 6 weeks Isaac will be travelling through Europe and the US and covering his journey online, which includes 4 fashion weeks. I’ll be checking daily as usual!

- Jessica

All images via Amber & Hilary, 01 Blog, Nardwuar, So Much To Tell You, and Isaac likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment