Friday, December 24, 2010

Retailer’s Seasonal Playlists

As a self-proclaimed audiophile, it always amazes me how apparent the lack of effort is that retailers put into the music they play in their stores. Particularly during this holiday season it seems there has been some sort of standard government-issued playlist that has been distributed throughout every store I’ve visited. What’s up, Vancouver?

Even at the small boutiques where they are able to control their personal store identity over somewhere like Banana Republic or Aritzia, they are still playing the same cookie-cutter cliché audio-vomit that everyone else has got on repeat. Bah-Humbug!

Good music should create a sense of individualism and uniqueness in the atmosphere of a store. Retailers should engage visitors with all five senses - character is more interesting, so why would you want to be a clone? Isn’t that why you opened your own store to begin with? Go manage a Gap, why don’t you.

Here are a few festive choices that I plan to play when I have partial control over my future store stereo (after I get off of my high horse, of course) >>

Louis Armstrong–‘Zat You Santa Claus

Minty’s Here To Make Christmas Excellent!

Bab’s Gonzales–The Be-Bop Santa Claus

And the pièce de résistance >>

Give this guy a record contract! Or a Santa hat!

- Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment